Important administrative matters in Spain



Types of Visas

Tourist Visa

EU countries citizens do not need a visa for Spain since they already have the right to residency. Citizens of many other nations also do not require a visa for stays up to 90 days. During their stay in Spain, engaging in any form of paid employment is prohibited. For more detailed information on visa requirements, check with your nearest Spanish embassy or consulate.

Spouse or Dependent Visa

The name of your spouse or dependents should be indicated on your application form for Spanish work permit. The Ministry of Labour will approve you and your family together. Once your job permit is given, your spouse and dependents' residence visa can be applied simultaneously along with your employment visa application. Keep in mind that they can not be granted with immediate Spanish work permit the same as you. They need to apply for their work permits to be able to get a job in Spain.

Student Visa

This visa is mandatory for people who plan to study at an approved educational institution in Spain for more than 90 days. You need to apply personally for this visa at the Consulate General of Spain along with your passport, residence permit and letter of acceptance from the school.

Important addresses for arriving expatriates:


You need to register yourself for tax return purposes. Coordinate with your company’s Human Resource department to see if they can help you with the paperwork. You will need a Numero de Identificacion de Extranjeros. The number identifies for tax returns and any dealings you may have with the Hacienda (Spanish tax office).

To apply for an NIE, go to your nearest police station (Policia Nacional) that has a foreigners’ department (Comisaria), bringing along your passport and a photocopy of it. Fill out an application form and wait for your request to be processed. This may take a few days to a few weeks. When collecting your NIE certificate, remember to bring along your passport and your copy of the application form.

Property and Investment Tax Investment for Individuals

The property tax rate varies depending on the size of the municipality where the property is located. The amount of tax is also calculated based on the official assessed value of the property.

Value Added Tax (VAT) / Goods and Services Tax (GST)

The standard rate of VAT of 16% is applied to most goods and services. A rate of 7% is applicable for certain products and services, for example, purchasing a newly built property from a developer. A rate of 4% applies to goods and services considered as necessities, for example, bread, cheese, eggs, newspapers and magazines.