Pet Import Regulations in Austria



Pet transport to Austria is generally an easy task provided all required documents are available at the animals’ time of arrival.

Expatriates who are relocating with their beloved pets in tow will need to prepare the necessary documents needed for pet relocation. To be submitted for customs clearance are proof of employment of the owner in Austria and a copy of the pet owner's passport or the pet's passport for those coming from EU countries. When the animal comes from a non-EU country, a Veterinary Certificate written both in the native language and in English should be submitted.    

Other documents required for pet relocation are an EU Vet Health Certificate (valid for four months) indicating the animals have been given full vaccinations for Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies for dogs and feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP), and Rabies for cats. All shots must be given by a government-accredited veterinarian in the animals' country of origin 1-12 months before arrival in Austria. An International Health Certificate should also be issued by the same veterinarian ten days before the pets depart.  

Aside from documents, all animals should be properly identified using an ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785-compliant microchip. A scanner to be attached to the pet crate will do when a different microchip is used.

For a hassle-free pet import process, a pet relocation service that will take charge of everything necessary and can represent an invaluable help for expats.

If you want more information, you can visit :


Continue reading:

Out-of-Norm Projects