Important administrative matters in Brussels




Tourist Visa

EU citizens do not require a visa to enter Belgium. Citizens of many countries like Australia, US,

Canada, Singapore, Japan, Korea, etc. do not need a visa if the stay is for 90 days or less. During this time, no form of paid employment may be undertaken.

Spouse or Dependent Visa

If your spouse or dependent wants to work in Belgium, he/she will need to have his/her work permit. The only exception is if your spouse or dependent is an EU citizen.

You need to provide proof of your relationship, has a proper accommodation in Belgium, and there are enough funds to support the family's health insurance and cost of living.

Student Visa

This visa is for people intending to study at an approved educational institution in Belgium. Non-EU nationals who are planning to study in Belgium for more than 90 days should secure a visa D from a Belgian embassy in their originating country. You are eligible for a Belgian student visa if you are part of a study programme or enrolled in an institution of higher education in Belgium.

To apply for the visa, you will need to submit your passport and supporting documents, such as a letter of acceptance, from your sponsor or educational institution.

Important address for arriving expatriates:

Tax Registration

You are required to register yourself for tax return purposes. Check with your company’s Human Resource department to see if they can help you with the paperwork. You will receive a tax declaration form; alternatively, you can file your tax returns online. If you don’t receive a form, you must obtain it from the tax inspector’s office.

For more information, head over to the local tax office, Federal Public Service Finance.