Last updated 24 April 2017

Jason Goldstone – Director at Hanover Residential

Hanover is a boutique estate agency in the UK operating for over 10 years now. Their Director, Mr Jason Goldstone shared his insights about the real estate and rental market in the UK, particularly the challenges of finding real estate and rentals in London. Learn more in his full interview below. 

Company: Hanover Residential

Category: Real Estate

Established since: 2006

Geographical coverage: United Kingdom



Q: When did you enter the industry, and when was your company created? How big has your team and clientele grown since?

A: Hanover has been delivering the London lifestyle to discerning home movers since 2006. Our boutique service is built on deep, longstanding personal relationships with our clients. In 2014, we opened our second office covering Prime Central London areas including Marylebone, Mayfair and Knightsbridge. 

Q: What makes your company different from other real estate companies in the UK?

A: Our business is only as good as our employees; we hand-pick staff for their personalities. As well as exceptional level of property expertise, professionalism and sincerity, we also recruit staff who appreciates the desire to be part of the buzzing London lifestyle.

Discretion is also a given at Hanover, and our company structure means all decisions are made swiftly in-house, with minimal delay - crucial in the fast-paced London property market. Many of our regular clients find they continue relationships with the same people who helped them during a former property transaction; such is the level of loyalty at Hanover. 

Q: What are the ideal areas and lease length for rentals in London?

A: As close to town as possible but the popular areas seem to be St Johns Wood, Hampstead and Belsize Park, Maida Vale and the surrounding areas, this I feel is because you are still very close to the center of town but you will get more for your money in these localized areas plus the schools that are here are very sought after and often Ofsted recommended. You also have numerous local parks and great transport links and they are very family orientated areas. 

Q: What are the most common types of housing for expats in London?

A: in the areas mentioned above with the budgets given, you would normally get good size houses with 4-5 bedrooms or very large flats in portered blocks and possibly parking and facilities such as gyms and swimming pools. 

Q: Do you see more of a trend in helping expats purchase real estate in London for residential or investment purposes? Why do you think it is so?

A: London has proven to be an incredible destination for expats for many years. The London property market has always been a safe haven for people to invest their money and we at Hanover encompass some of London’s most sought after and vibrant neighbourhoods, offering some of the best 5* dining, amazing theatre and entertainment and above all an incredible culture. The language, schooling and time zone also play a part in London’s appeal. 

Q: What are the key housing paperwork and procedures in the UK for property rentals and purchase respectively?

A: If a Tenancy is personal and not in a company name, then bank statements dating back three months from present day and also any savings accounts also dating back at least three months will be needed to prove that they are solvent and have no adverse credit history or County Court Judgments you will also need these things in connection to the below to set up an account in the UK.

Q: What are some things specific to real estate in the UK that people often do not know about? What is your advice to expats regarding them?

A: UK bank accounts– often overseas clients outside the EU are not aware that if the tenancy is going to be in a personal name rather than a Company Tenancy, you will need a UK bank account in order to get an address and on the flip side you can’t often get an address without a bank account. See above which may be needed to open an account.

Right to Rent - As of 1st February 2016, every Tenant that is not a UK Citizen or not from a country that is part of the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland will have to prove that they are entitled and have the right to rent a property in the UK. Original documents such as Passports, Visas and UK Immigration Documents will be required before any tenancy can commence.


Related expat articles