Essential Employment Paperwork in Greece



Citizens of the European Union and European Economic Area have the right to live and seek employment in Greece without any restrictions. Those coming from non-EU/EEA countries, United States, Australia and Canada are required to obtain residence/work permit before applying for a job in the Hellenic Republic. 

The residence and work permit for Greece are combined as one which means that those who have been granted the right to reside in this country is also automatically eligible for employment. This type of permit is an employer, occupation and location specific so expats must bear in mind that if they switch jobs, they also need to apply for a new permit. To obtain one, a foreign national must apply first for a visa to enter Greece and then later on request for a residence/work permit once in the country. 

National/Type D Visa 

Expats who wish to work in Greece for more than three months are required to apply for a National or Type D visa. Applicants can enquire from the Hellenic (Greek) Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the latest application procedure or go directly to the Greek Embassy/Consulate in their home country where the visa will be issued. 

Take note that to be eligible for the National/Type D Visa, an expat must first secure an employer in Greece who will give them a job offer/contract. However, an employment contract for a non-EU national will only be possible of the company has proven to the Greek Office of Manpower (OAED) that a Greek or EU national was not able to fill the vacancy. Some of the necessary requirements for the application are: 

  • Valid Passport
  • Employment Contract
  • Proof of sufficient medical insurance while in Greece
  • Clear criminal background check from the police station near the area of the applicant’s residence 

Residence/Work Permit 

Within 30 days of arrival in Greece, the Type D/National Visa holder must apply for the residence/work permit at the local municipal office or in some cases, at the police station near their area of residence. Before applying for the permit, the expat must first get an Arithmo Forologiko Mitro (AFM or TIN number) from the local Eforia or tax office as well as a Social Security Number from the Social Insurance Institute

A residence/work permit is issued based on the applicant’s circumstance such as employee, self-employed, executive or consultant. The validity period can last up to five years and the expat must have a valid visa during the application because if not, he/she will be asked to return the his/her home country to re-start the process. 

Once the application has been started, the expat will receive a blue form called bebaiosi which serves as their receipt. Applicants may begin working while the permit is still in process and it is their responsibility to monitor the progress of their application. The residence/work permit will be issued in a sticker form which will be placed in the foreign assignee’s passport.