Applying for a Visa in Italy



A visa is a vital document that every expat from non-EU nations must have to legally enter Rome. Several types of visas are issued to an individual depending on their purpose or planned length of stay.

Any foreign national who plans on going to Rome either for employment or studies purposes should have a valid visa while those from EU countries are only required to have a passport or updated national ID. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is the sector of the Italian government that regulates and processes all visa applications for Rome.

Here are some of the basic requirements that an expat must secure when applying for a visa for Rome:

  • Filled out Italian visa application form
  • 2 passport photos
  • A passport which is valid for at least three months and has two blank pages
  • Copies of previous visas
  • Travel Medical Insurance
  • A cover letter stating the applicant’s purpose of visit to Rome/Italy
  • Employment Contract
  • Proof of enrolment (for international students)
  • Duly paid processing fee

Other types of visa for expats going to Rome are:

Tourist Visa

Foreign nationals who plan on going to Rome must apply for a Schengen Visa which is valid for 90 days within a six month period. This type of visa has two categories: the single entry and multiple entries. Schengen visa must be applied in person at the Italian consulate or embassy from the expatriate’s home country. The processing fee is usually around €60.

Study Visa

This visa is solely for study purposes and must be applied at an Italian diplomatic authority from the expatriate’s home country. A Study Visa will only be granted if the applicant will be able to meet requirements such as:

  • A sustainable source of income while in Rome
  • A suitable housing or accommodation
  • Access to Medical Care

Spouse or dependent Visa

This type of visa is for the wife or children of foreign assignees who want to accompany them in Rome. They need to apply for a permesso di soggiorno (permission to remain) from the ufficio stranieri (foreigners’ bureau) of the local police station in Rome. Three months after obtaining permission to stay, the spouse or dependent must go to the anagrafe (municipal registry office) and present an employment contract or proof of sufficient source of income.