Essential employment paperwork in Italy



Italy is very strict when it comes to documents or permits of foreign nationals who are looking for local employment. As with any cities abroad, every expat should secure valid paperwork to avoid being caught up in unnecessary legal issues.

European Union residents are not required to have a work permit since they have the right to work in any EU member states such as Italy and therefore, Rome. The only requirement that expats from those countries should have is an Italian residence card that can be obtained upon arriving in the city.

Italy is also a member of the 15 Schengen countries which means that expats coming from these nations can go to Rome without border and movement restrictions. In other words, Schengen visa holders do not need to secure a permit to stay or entry visa to Rome and can freely seek local employment.

Expats who are from non-EU and Schengen states should have proper permits and here are some of the various types of visa required in Rome.


Employment Visa

Work visa for Italy must be applied at an Italian embassy in the expatriate’s home country. There is an option to seek assistance from a recognised employment agency that can help arrange documents such as the permesso di soggiorno (residence permit). The permesso di soggiorno grants a foreign national three to 12 months of valid stay in Rome where they can start looking for local employment. However, an Italian work visa or stay permit will not be granted unless an expat can present a proof of employment from a company in Rome so its best to secure a job first to ensure smooth processing of visa application.

Business Visa

Business Visa is a type of permit that is issued to businesspeople, traders and skilled professionals such as medical doctors or lawyers who wish to practice their profession in Rome. It is a type C Schengen Visa and grants a maximum of 90 days stay. Here are some of the requirements that an expat must provide when applying for a business visa to Rome:

  • Invitation letter from a registered company in Rome which states their address and the specific dates of visit
  • A certificate from the employer stating the nature of travel to Rome
  • Valid passport with at least two blank pages


Any foreign assignee in Italy who is a registered resident in the Comune (Municipal Registry), has a habitual residence or home in the city and receives salary from an Italian or Italian based company are required to file their income tax returns.

The imposta sul reddito delle persone fisiche (IRE or Personal Income Tax) is levied at from 23% to 43%.

Taxable Income in Euro

Tax Rate









75,001 and above