Essential Employment Paperwork in Peru

There are two types of visa that will enable expatriates to work in Peru legally and eventually obtain a work visa. Getting a visa for this country is a relatively straightforward process as long as applicants adhere to Peruvian procedures and submit complete documents

An employment contract is one of the most significant documents required when applying for a work visa for Peru. Keep in mind that job contracts between the Peruvian company and the foreign worker must be approved by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.The validity of the contract is gained once a visa is obtained from General Directorate of Immigration and Naturalization or DIGEMIN (Direccion General de Migraciones and Naturalizacion). A certified translator should translate all documentation related to work experience, legalised by the Peruvian Consulate abroad, and approved by Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The validity of contracts cannot exceed three years but can be renewed.

Expatriates can either enter the country under a tourist or business visa then seek for employment while in the country. Once they have landed a job, they can already go to the Direccion General de Migraciones and Naturalizacion or DIGEMIN to apply for a work visa.

Visa Categories

Business Visa

The Business visa is valid for 90 days and can be renewed at the Oficina de Migraciones. Expats who have this type of visa has more chances of getting employment in Peru compared to tourist visa holders. It should be obtained at a Peruvian Consulate/Embassy in the applicant’s home country and is usually issued as a single-entry visa.

  • Valid Passport
  • An authenticated work contract between the expat and a Peruvian company stating the details of the time period of work required
  • Two passport sized photos
  • Duly filled Form F-007
  • Business reference (letter from employer)

Tourist Visa

Foreign assignees also have the option to enter Peru while under a tourist visa. It is valid for either 90 or 183 days and during the validity period; expats can start looking for a Peruvian employer. Once there is already a job lined up, one can already apply for a work visa at the Dirección General de Migraciones y Naturalización del Perú (DIGEMIN). The validity of the work visa is usually dependent on the expatriate’s length of employment stated in the contract.

The average processing time is one and a half month; however, it may take a while depending on the application, and the necessary requirements needed. Expats may encounter illicit offers to speed up the application process, but it is best to be cautious and just wait. One can also check with the Peruvian embassy in the processing time, as requirements vary depending on one’s home country.