Having a Baby in Saudi Arabia



Saudi Arabia does not recognize dual citizenship, with the exemption of marriage to one of its citizens.

Once the baby is born, the hospital will issue a document called "birth notification." Expats can go to the nearest Ministry of Interior (MOI) to get a birth registration form. Notably, the form is in Arabic, though parents can ask for professional services to assist in filling out the forms or a friend who speaks Arabic in filling out the form correctly. The completed forms in Arabic need to be submitted to the nearest MOI office along with the birth notification document, parent's original passports (that should be translated in Arabic) and the parent's iqama. All birth certificates issued by the MOI office are written in Arabic. 

Parents can have the Arabic birth certificate translated to English. All embassies or consulate in Saudi Arabia have separate guidelines for newborn baby's passport. Expats are advised to call or visit their respective embassy or consulate before the baby is born.

To apply for an iqama for the infant, visit The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) website for more information.

Saudi Arabia has pregnancy and childbirth customs and policies that expats should be aware of. No men are allowed in the labor or delivery area when women are giving birth in government-run hospitals, as there are other women in the same ward with the same condition. Most private hospitals, however, allow the husband to be with his wife.

A private health insurance plan in Saudi Arabia provided by the employer may not coer maternity care. Childbirth cost is expensive in Saudi Arabia, in which a mere consultation with a doctor can cost SAR100.00 (approximately USD$26.00). To minimize maternity costs, expats are advised to purchase an international health insurance plan in Saudi Arabia or add supplemental coverage to their employers plan.



Continue reading:

Description of cover