Important administrative matters in Singapore


Before moving to Singapore you have to carry out several administrative procedures


The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) is responsible for issuing visitor’s visas in Singapore, while the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) is responsible for issuing work related visas. Both authorities have comprehensive websites that answer most questions on visa matters, in addition to having a hotline for visa enquiries.

Tourist Visa

  • Social visit passes are granted to visitors at the point of entry. The period of stay granted is shown on the endorsement given on the visitor’s passport. Visitors on social visit passes are not permitted to work in Singapore. For more information, check here.

Spouse or Dependent Visa

  • P1, P2 and Q1 Pass holders can bring his/her spouse and children under 21 years of age on Dependent’s Passes. For more information, check here.

Student Visa

  • This visa is for people who want to study in an approved private or public educational institution in Singapore. Usually the educational institution will act as the applicant’s sponsor for the visa. For more information, check here

Common requirements for visa applications

  1. Visa Application Form: This should be filled in legibly and clearly, using bold (capital) letters in blue or black ink. Your name and other relevant particulars should be filled in identically to the details in the passport.
  2. Passport: Your passport should have a minimum validity of six months from the date of application and at least two blank pages.
  3. Photographs: You will need two recent identical passport size photographs depicting a frontal pose against plain white background.
  4. Supporting Documents: If the visa that you are applying for is other than a Tourist Visa, you must submit the required documents specific for your visa category.
  5. Visa Fee: The amount of fee depends on the category of visa, and the country in which the application is being processed.

Tax Registration

For tax filing and other local registration purposes, both Singaporeans and foreigners are provided with a Singapore Personal Access Pass or ‘Singpass’. Most government transaction processes can be conducted online, including tax filing which is regulated by the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS).

Tax returns are based on the preceding calendar year, and need to be filed by April 15 each year. Tax rates (for locals and foreigners) are determined firstly by whether you are a ‘Resident’ or ‘Non-Resident’, where a foreign tax resident is one who has worked in Singapore for more than 183 days or more.

Local Tax Office:

Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore

55 Newton Road, Singapore 307987. Opposite Novena MRT Station.

Opening Hours:

Monday – Friday: 8 am – 5 pm

Saturday: 8 am- 1 pm (only for individual income tax assessment enquires)

Make an initial no-obligation enquiry on tax planning, tax return or tax issues that you may face as an expatriate. Discover unique advantages available to you while living abroad. Ask your questions to pre-screened expert consultants.

See the employment paperwork in Singapore