Self-Employed in Sweden



Sweden is known to be a business friendly country, and starting a company comes easy.

Non-EU/EEA entrepreneurs need only to apply for a special residence permit before going to Sweden to start a business. Applications are done at the local Swedish embassy or consulate nearest to the applicant's country of origin. 

Basic requirements include commercial evaluation of the business plan to be evaluated by the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket); a detailed business plan; evidence of capital required to setup the company; and proof of funds to support the applicant (and his family if applicable). Additionally, entrepreneurs who will be acquiring a company are required to submit the last two annual reports of the company being acquired. Special residence permits can be renewed after a year. After two years, non-EU/EEA entrepreneurs can apply for a permanent resident permit depending on the company's financial success. 

In Sweden, enterprises can comprise of limited liability company (Aktielbolag); sole trader (Enskild Näringsidkare); a trading partnership (Handelsbolag); and limited partnership (Kommanditbolag) or a branch (Filia) of a foreign based company. Those who are self-employed in Sweden are considered sole traders legally. 

All applications are submitted to Swedish Companies Registration Office (Bolagsverket). Company registration can be applied for online or through ordinary filing. Processing fees vary on the type of enterprise. See the Swedish Companies Registration website for updated fees.

Companies must be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). A corporate identity number (Oranisationummer) will be sent to the registered company address after registration.