Expats FAQ in Switzerland

What city are you living in ?


Q: What are the major banks in Switzerland?

A: Famed for its financial infrastructure, there are a hundreds of banks in Switzerland; the biggest, however, are UBS and Credit Suisse.

Q: What are cantonal banks in Switzerland?

A: Cantonal banks in Switzerland are independent financial institutions; they either own the bank or the majority stakeholder. Every canton in the country has a cantonal bank except for Solothurn and Appenzell Ausserrhoden regions.

Q: What documents are required to open a bank account in Switzerland?

A: The main requirement for opening a bank account in Switzerland is to present a passport as identification. One has the option to also open an account thru the post. If via post, one must send along a copy of the passport certified by an approved institution.

Q: What are the banking hours in Geneva?

A: Banks are normally open Mondays to Fridays from the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Banks are usually closed on Saturdays and Sundays, although bank branches at airports and train stations are open on weekends.

Q: Can bank accounts in Geneva have to hold Swiss Francs?

A: No, bank accounts in Geneva can be established with other currencies, such as Euros and US dollars.

Q: How good are the banks in Geneva?

A: Swiss banks have a well-known reputation for being secure, reliable and safe. Geneva has around 60 foreign-controlled banks and a number of smaller local banks as well.


Q: How to start a business in Switzerland?

A: Would-be entrepreneurs can visit Switzerland's web portal ch.ch for a comprehensive guide to setting up a business to the working condition of the country. The Switzerland Global Enterprise (S-GE) facilitates exports, imports and investments in the country, as well as offering Small Medium Enterprises a full suit of services. In addition, S-GE runs a number of Swiss Business Hubs around the world, which can help foreign businesses to establish business ties in Switzerland.

Q: What is the business environment in Switzerland?

A: One can say that the business setting is quite conservative. Punctuality tops a must do on every occasion, be it in meeting or a social gathering.

Q: What are the languages preferred in the business setting in Switzerland?

A: Switzerland has four official languages – German, French, Italian and Romansch. Although English is used, Swiss-German is the lingua franca while German language is taught in schools. It is recommended to ask for an interpreter prior to a meeting if the other parties prefer German.

Q: What is the business language in Geneva?

A: Although the country has three official languages, Geneva has French as the official language that is used in all signs around the city. Although English is used in most businesses, expats are encouraged to learn French when living in the city.

Q: What businesses are commonly found in Geneva?

A: Geneva is popular with those who want to work in finance, as there are various private banking services and international finance activities in the city. Working with machines is also another industry that flourishes in Geneva, given that companies such as Rolex and Omega have headquarters in the city.

Q: Is there any business related customs in Geneva that one should know about?

A: When an employee has resigned or is transferring, a goodbye party is usually organized---not by other staff members, but by the leaving employee.


Q: Are children in Switzerland obliged to go to Kindergarten?

A: Kindergarten is not mandated in Switzerland. Parents have the option to enroll their small children in Kindergarten school in their canton for one year or two years. Mandatory elementary school starts at 7 years of age.

Q: What are some family activities that children can enjoy in Switzerland?

A: With its majestic landscape, a train ride is an exciting activity for families, from snow-capped glaciers to magnificent lakes. Riding the train is a must do activities when in Switzerland that will be enjoyed by adults and children. Hiking is another ideal activity for families, even if it's just an simple short stroll on a green hillside or at a nearby park.

Q: Which hospitals cater for children's health?

A: University Children’s Hospital in Zurich, the largest pediatric clinic in Switzerland and in Europe; the Children's Hospital in Lausanne; and University Children's Hospital Basel are some of the big-name hospitals focusing on children's health.

Q: Are there childcare centers in Geneva?

A: Yes, but they can be quite expensive. Crèches and nurseries often have long waiting lists, and can cost up to 2000 Swiss Francs per month, which is why most local children attend crèches and nurseries for a limited period.

Q: What are some child-friendly activities to do in Geneva?

A: Children in Geneva will enjoy visiting Happyland, which is the largest amusement park in the country. Animal lovers will also have fun visiting the "La Ferme Foraine Bonaventure" camp that features farm animals such as goats, llamas and donkeys for kids to pet.

Q: Are there any French classes for children in Geneva?

A: Yes, the best place to go to for French language courses is the Geneva Red Cross (Croix Rouge Genevoise) which offers intensive and non-intensive French courses and cultural integration programs for both adults and children.

Cost of living

Q: What is the average price when dining out in Switzerland?

A: One is spoilt for choice when it comes to dining in Switzerland, but it doesn't come cheap. A decent meal can go from 20-25 Fr while dining at a restaurant can go above 100 Fr.

Q: How much is a monthly pass ticket in Switzerland?

A: A monthly pass ticket for public transport can cost around 70-80 Fr.

Q: What is the monthly average cost of Utility Bills such as Electricity and Water?

A: Switzerland has one of the highest cost of living in the world. One of the most costly expenses are the electricity, water and other utility bills that can go around 200-250 Fr a month.

Q: Is living in Geneva cheap?

A: No, the cost of living in Geneva is relatively high. A minimum budget of 80 to 150 Swiss Francs per day is to be expected when living in the city.

Q: What are the costs for renting an apartment in Geneva?

A: The costs of rent in Geneva can be higher than living in Paris. A two-bedroom apartment costs between 2,600 and 4,500 Swiss Francs per month.

Q: How much will it cost to hire a housekeeper in Geneva?

A: Housekeepers are charged by the hour, and the hourly rate for cleaning help costs 24 Swiss Francs.


Q: What medical services can be availed for EHIC holders in Switzerland?

A: European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) holders can only get public medical treatment in Switzerland at a reduced cost, but only for the first three months. Once permanent residence and employment commence, one must register with a Swiss health insurance company.

Q: Where to find a nearby hospital in Switzerland?

A: Each canton has its own hospital, in which a hospital building have a white letter "H" on a blue background. Hospitals are called Krankenhaus / Spital / Hospital / Ospedale. An EHIC or proof of Swiss health insurance policy is required when going to a hospital. Hospitals in Switzerland have three types of wards: general for more than two patients, semi-private for only two patients and private for one patient only.

Q: What are the major hospitals in Switzerland?

A: Expats and foreigners can go to the following hospitals in Switzerland for medical issues or emergencies: Kantonsspital Aarau, Universitätsklinik Balgrist, Bethesda-Spital, University Hospital Bern, Tiefenauspital Bern, Rätischen Kantons- und Regionalspital Chur, Spital Grabs, Paracelsus Klink, Kantonsspital St.Gallen, Hospital de la Tour, Spital Uster, Spital Wil, Kantonsspital Winterthur, Zuger Kantonsspital and Stadtspital Waid.

Q: Who can one contact in Geneva in the event that an emergency situation happens?

A: In Geneva, the phone number that is called for all medical emergencies is 144.

Q: Are there any required vaccinations that are required before going to Geneva?

A: There are no specific vaccinations that are needed, but getting immunization against encephalitis infections is recommended.

Q: Is health insurance needed in Geneva?

A: Healthcare in Geneva can be expensive, so it is a mandatory requirement for locals and foreigners to obtain coverage with Swiss Insurance companies. Expats are advised to compare health insurance providers first before selecting a company.


Q: What are the important things that must be included in the tenancy agreement in Switzerland?

A: Tenancy agreement between landlord and tenant must clearly indicate the Rent; Tenancy start and end date; Notice; Detailed property inventory; Tenant rights to shared services; Quiet hours; any house rules; and other agreed terms between parties.

Q: What are the popular property sites in Switzerland?

A: Although going through a real estate agent is the best way in acquiring a property, whether for rent or ownership, one can still visit the following property sites: www.homegate.ch, www.immostreet.ch, www.bekeys.ch and www.immoscout24.ch to browse property listings.

Q: What is the best way to find accommodations in Switzerland?

A: Hands down, one must go through an estate agents or property realtors. Not only they control most of the rental market, but also manage properties for property/ land owners. One can find an estate agent in the Swiss Real Estate Association (SVIT) SVIT Member directory or in the Swiss Union of Real Estate Professionals (USPI).

Q: How long do leases last when renting in Geneva?

A: Generally, tenants sign a lease that lasts for about 12 months. They will have to give at least a month's notice in advance if tenants wish to terminate the lease early.

Q: What is the most common type of accommodation in Geneva?

A: Apartments are common in Geneva and are kept in good condition. Most apartments tend to be quite small, and expats who want a larger area to accommodate families may have to consider properties that are beyond the city.

Q: Can foreigners own property in Geneva?

A: Yes, but regulations are strict for foreigners. Expats can purchase property as long as they are an EU citizen or have a Swiss residence permit.


Q: What to see in the Swiss Museum of Transportation?

A: Opening its door in 1959, the Swiss Museum of Transportation is Switzerland's most popular museum boasting of 3,000 objects in its 20,000 square meters exhibit area. A one day tour to the Swiss Museum of Transportation is packed with information on the history of mobility and communication as documented in exhibitions and theme parks, with simulations, interactive stations and films.

Q: What are some of the best parks in Switzerland?

A: Switzerland has no cosmopolitan city like Paris or London. Instead, it is surrounded by quiet, quaint towns, with a breathtaking view of nature. Among the idyllic parks include Parc Ela, Wilderness Park Zurich and Swiss National Park.

Q: Why can one expect when visiting Appenzell in Switzerland?

A: Appenzell is a must see for travelers seeking to experience local culture and the people. Appenzell is a small, rural village of 7000 found in canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden. Its perfect location near the foot of the Alpstein mountains makes it a great gateway during summer and winter outdoor activities.

Q: Are there vegetarian restaurants in Geneva?

A: Yes, there are Vegan and Vegetarian Restaurants in Geneva. Some names include the Aux Deux Portes Café which is inside a organic grocery store and the Be Vegan Make Peace food stall at the Plainpalais Market, which sells vegan muffins, sandwiches and cakes.

Q: What are the best nightclubs in Geneva?

A: The best nightclubs in Geneva are the Zoe Live Bar at Rive, the Baroque Club at Rue du Rhone and the Mambo Club at Paquis.

Q: Are there any must-see areas in Geneva?

A: There are plenty of places to check out while in Geneva, and these include the CERN Globe of Science and Innovation and the European headquarters of the United Nations.

Q: Are there any must-see areas in Geneva?

A: There are plenty of places to check out while in Geneva, and these include the CERN Globe of Science and Innovation and the European headquarters of the United Nations.

Looking for a job

Q: What are the newspapers that advertise job placement in Switzerland?

A: Some of the newspapers that have job listings are 24 Emplois in 24 Heures, Stellenmarkt in Der Bund and the Berner Zeitung, Stellefant in the Basler Zeitung and Corriere del Ticino newspaper in canton Ticino.

Q: What are the most popular online job sites in Switzerland?

A: Job seekers usually frequent these sites: www.jobs.ch, www.monster.com, www.jobup.ch, www.jobscout24.ch, www.jobwinner.ch and www.stepstone.ch

Q: Is there assistance given to EU/EFTA citizens looking for employment in Switzerland?

A: EU/Efta citizens can enter Switzerland without a permit for up to three months looking for work; but said period can be extended. One can check the Eures (European Employment Services) for job vacancies and work opportunities.

Q: How many public holidays are there in Geneva?

A: There are 10 public holidays in Geneva. During public holidays, most shops, banks and offices are closed while hospitals, police stations and supermarkets are kept open.

Q: Where can one find job vacancies in Geneva?

A: The local newspapers often advertise their vacancies, but there are also several employment agencies that are located in the city. The internet is also a valuable tool in locating companies that may feature job vacancies.

Q: Where can one go for employment related assistance in Geneva?

A: Geneva has an Office of Employment located that provides assistance when it comes to looking for a job in Geneva. The office is open from Mondays to Fridays between the hours of 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM.


Q: What are the three levels of taxation in Switzerland?

A: There are three levels of taxation in Switzerland overseen by the Federal Constitution. Taxes are levied on three levels: federal, cantonal and municipal.

Q: Is there a church tax in Switzerland??

A: The three biggest religious denomination and national churches in the country are Protestant, Roman Catholic and Christian Catholic. Each respective parishes collect a church tax from their members.

Q: What is property tax in Switzerland?

A: Real estate tax or property tax in Switzerland falls under the cantonal or communal tax on land and buildings. Property tax is calculated on the full taxable value of the property and is taxed at its location, regardless if owner resides in the property.

Q: Where can one go to change currencies?

A: To change currencies in Geneva, one can visit banks and exchange offices. These can be found at train stations and airports. Money can also be changed at hotels, but the rates are not very favorable.

Q: Are credit cards accepted in Geneva?

A: Yes. Credit cards are commonly accepted in restaurants and department stores, with commonly accepted credit cards being Mastercard, Postcard, American Express, Eurocard and Diners.

Q: Is the Euro the currency that is used in Geneva?

A: No. The city of Geneva (and the country of Switzerland) is not a member of the European Union and does not use the Euro. The currency that is used in Geneva is the Swiss Franc.


Q: What are the important numbers that need to be noted by newly arrived expats?

A: Emergency Numbers include 117 for Police; 118 for Fire; 114 for Ambulance ; 1414 for Helicopter Rescue; and 140 for Vehicle Breakdown.

Q: Are winter tyres compulsory in Switzerland?

A: In Switzerland, winter tyres are not mandatory, but highly encouraged to avoid accidents and make the road safer. If one wish to change tyres in preparation for Winter season, one can have it changed as early as October before the first snow appears.

Q: Are there any safety issues in Switzerland?

A: As one of the most livable countries in the world, Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates. There are no major safety issues in Switzerland, which makes it an ideal location for families with small children and women travelers. Even at night, streets are safe.

Q: What is the weather in Geneva like?

A: The weather in Geneva is warm and sunny during the summer months and can frequently rain during Spring. It can get snowy and cold during winter, so it is best to bring a coat to stay warm.

Q: Are there any expat clubs that one can join in Geneva?

A: Yes, a few clubs that expats can join to meet people of similar backgrounds who share the same interests. Some clubs include the American International Club of Geneva or the Geneva English Drama Society, which offers a theatre program and play readings.

Q: Is Geneva a dangerous place to live in?

A: Geneva is a safe city to live in, with most people living in Geneva finding it safe to walk home at night. However, theft is a common occurrence along with scams and attempts to break in vehicles.


Q: Are there rabies exemption policies in Switzerland?

A: There are a few rabies exception of pets entering Switzerland. Pets that can be imported without a rabies vaccination certificate include cats and dogs from countries without rabies that forbid rabies vaccinations (Australia and New Zealand); five months puppies and kittens from European countries (with the exemption of Turkey and the States of the former Soviet Union), the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. However, a veterinary health certificate stating the animal's age must be shown upon entry point.

Q: How much is a dog license in Switzerland?

A: A dog license fee varies for each commune or canton. There are cantons that have a reduced charge or exemptions for guide dogs and trained dogs for rescue operations.

Q: What are the requirements for dogs travelling to Switzerland?

A: Microchips for dogs has been a requirement since 2007. The ID chip has a unique number as well as a code only in Switzerland. All dogs in the country must have identifiable chips (transponder) and should be registered with the Animal Identity Service (ANIS). Dogs that have chips implanted by veterinarians must also be registered by the vet in one's specific canton. It is important to register your canine in the ANIS database by a veterinarian within 10 days of arrival in Switzerland.

Q: Is there any area where children can learn about preventing animal bites?

A: The Department of Education and the Youth Health Service in Geneva features a one-hour course for children that aims to educate them on how to interact with dogs and prevent bites.

Q: Can dogs ride public transport in Geneva?

A: Yes, dogs are allowed to travel with their owners on all forms of public transportation. Small dogs who are on trains can travel for free as long as they are kept in a carrier.

Q: Are there any dog parks in Geneva?

A: Yes. There are a number of dog-friendly areas in Geneva, such as Parc Bertrand.


Q: What are the top universities in Switzerland?

A: Universität Basel (BS), Universität Bern (BE), Universität Fribourg (FR), Universität Genf (GE), Université de Lausanne (VD), Université de Neuchâtel (NE), Universität St. Gallen (SG), L'Università della Svizzera Italiana (TI), Universität Zürich (ZH) are considered top universities in Switzerland and are all run by their respective canton.

Q: What are some of the best International Schools in Switzerland?

A: There's aplenty of good, established international schools in Switzerland that expat parents can choose from. Among these international schools are The Japanese School Zurich: (www.jszurich.ch), the Swiss International School (www.international-school.ch), Zurich International School (www.zis.ch), The International School of Geneva (www.ecolint.ch), Collège du Léman (www.cdl.ch), The British School of Geneva (www.britishschoolgeneva.ch), Institut Le Rosey (www.rosey.ch) and the John F. Kennedy International School.

Q: What is expected when a child starts primary school in Switzerland?

A: Whether a child goes to the public school or a private school, the "Volksschule" or primary school is mandatory for all children living in Switzerland. Each canton is responsible for the educational system, be it the subjects, the starting age of the students or the school duration. Elementary starts at the age of 7 and lasts for 8-9 years.

Q: Are there international schools in Geneva?

A: There are several international schools that are found in the city of Geneva. Many expat parents choose to send their children to these schools, as they offer bilingual education and offer the IB diploma. Additionally, the oldest international school in the world is located in Geneva.

Q: What is the educational system in Geneva like?

A: The educational system varies according to canton. In Geneva, the minimum age for primary school is 7 years old. Secondary schools are mandatory and kept separate from primary schools.

Q: What languages do children learn at school in Geneva?

A: Most public schools in Geneva feature French as the language of instruction with German as a secondary language. English is also taught at age 10. Expatriate parents can also choose among a variety of bilingual or multilingual schools that follow a certain curriculum and feature a certain language in Geneva.


Q: Where to find the best Swiss chocolates in the country?

A: Those who have sweet tooth are in for a treat in Switzerland! Head off to Sprüngli in Zurich, makers of the finest Swiss chocolates since the 19th century; Confiserie Bachmann in Luzern; and the reputable chocolatier, Favarger.

Q: What are some of the outlet stores in Switzerland?

A: Switzerland packs a big punch when it comes to shopping. Among the popular outlet stores are Aubonne Outlet Center, FoxTown Mendrisio Outlet, Landquart Designer Outlet, Outlet Park Murgenthal, Fashion Fish in Schonenwerd and Villeneuve Outlet.

Q: Where to go shopping in Switzerland?

A: There are quite a number of big department stores in Switzerland where one can shop all day. These large department stores include Einkaufszentrum Glatt, Bahnhof S, Migros City Zürichtadelhofen, Im Viadukt, Sihlcity, ShopVille-RailCity Zürich and Letzipark.

Q: What is the best place in Geneva to buy chocolate?

A: Auer Chocolatier is a popular shop to purchase high-quality chocolates. Located at 4 Rue De Rive, the store sells chocolate covered almonds, truffles and chocolate spreads.

Q: Are there any farmers markets in Geneva?

A: Yes. The largest and most well-known farmers market in Geneva is located at the Plaine de Plainpalais. A variety of fresh produce is offered, and the market is open from Sundays to Thursdays.

Q: What are the mall and store hours in Geneva?

A: Most retail stores in Geneva are open from the hours of 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM. On weekends, shops are open from 9:00 to 6:00 pm.


Q: Can one pay telephone bill in Switzerland by direct debit?

A: Direct debit (Dauerauftrag - mandat) is just one way to pay telephone bill or any other utility bills in Switzerland. The bills will be automatically deducted from one's bank account.

Q: How to use a public phone in Switzerland?

A: First off, one will need a telephone card or Taxcard to use one of the public phones. Although there are some public phones that accept coins, it is wise to purchase a taxcard instead. A taxcard can be purchased at post offices, stationery stores, or Swisscom shops.

Q: What are the major telecom providers in Switzerland?

A: Swisscom remains the strongest telecom provider with the best network coverage in Switzerland. Tailing behind are Orange and Sunrise.

Q: How is the internet in Geneva?

A: The quality of internet in Geneva is excellent, with the country having one of the highest penetration rates in Europe. Additionally, there over 70 Wi-Fi hotspots in the city that are located in parks, libraries, cafés, airports and municipal buildings.

Q: What are local cellphone companies that one can use while in Geneva?

A: Most local mobile phone services are provided by major telecommunications providers such as Swisscom AG, Orange, Yallo, Sunrise and Coop. SIM cards will need to be registered with names and addresses.

Q: Are there payphones in Geneva?

A: Yes, but not a lot of them accept coins. The payphones in Geneva operate via prepaid card or a credit card with no surcharge.


Q: Are bicycle permitted inside the train in Switzerland?

A: Cycling is very much encouraged in the country. One can certainly bring their bicycle when coming to Switzerland. Bicycles are allowed on most SBB trains and private railways, with a valid bike ticket that is. Alternatively, foldable bikes can be stored in a case, as part of the luggage, and no payment required.

Q: What is the Swiss Travel Pass valid?

A: In general, the Swiss Travel Pass provides free transport on trains, buses and boats - all public transport in towns and cities throughout the country, including panorama trains like the Glacier Express. If one plans to travel extensively in the country and would stay long, it is recommended to get a Swiss Travel Pass.

Q: Where to rent bikes in The Netherlands?

A: As a bike-loving nation, newcomers will be in awe on how cycling have been imbibed in the Dutch culture and their daily lives. Newbies on cycling can opt to rent instead of buying a new one. Bikes can be rented in the center centre especially in train stations and hotel areas.

Q: What kinds of public transportation options are available in Geneva?

A: There are a number of groups for professionals to join and meet people in, such as Guiri Business, which is an English-language networking group in Madrid with over one thousand members. Guiripreneur is another group made up of internationals who want to start a business in Madrid.

Q: Where can one get a Geneva Transport Card?

A: The Geneva Transport Card is given to those who are staying in hotels, hostels or camping sites. The card is given for free, and can be used to take the bus, taxi-boat, train or tram.

Q: Is it possible to get around Geneva on a bicycle?

A: Yes. Geneva is a bike-friendly city, as there are numerous bike routes around the city along with rental bicycles for anyone to use. During the summer months, bikes are used for free.


Q: What are the most spectacular lakes in Switzerland?

A: Among the picturesque lakes are Lake Geneva and Vaud, Lake Lucerne, Lago di Lugano, Lake Uri, Around Lake Thun, Brienx and Lake Constance.

Q: What are the top destinations in Switzerland?

A: The Swiss Alpine ranks as the top destination. Other attractions that draw tourists are Zürich, with its vibrant city and nightlife; Basel and its capital, Bern for its history; Luzern with its surrounding lakes and mountains; and Geneva.

Q: How much is the cost of accommodation for tourists and travelers?

A: Hostel dorms in Switzerland, ideal for backpackers can go as 35-50 USD per night, while a single room is at 80 USD. Hotel stay in Geneva and other major cities can go more than 100 USD a night.

Q: How can I get to Geneva from the airport?

A: There are main two ways to get to Geneva from the airport: by bus or by train. There is a bus stop located near the parking lot, and one journey to the city centre will cost 3.50 Swiss Francs. To get to the city by train, the train departs every 10 minutes and stops at the main station of Geneva. Train tickets cost 3.50 Swiss Francs.

Q: When is the best time to visit Geneva?

A: Most visitors go to Geneva during the summer months, where tourists can cruise on the lake and visit festivals in the area. Spring is also popular for visitors in Geneva, as the weather is tolerable and slightly chilly. Skiing enthusiasts will find that Winter is the best time to indulge in the snow.

Q: Is there a way for one to contact the airport in Geneva?

A: Those who want to obtain information on the departure schedule and arrival times can contact the airport in Geneva through their phone number, which is +41 (0)22 717 71 11.


Q: What type of visa can a tourist apply when travelling to Switzerland?

A: There is a Type C visa for tourists planning a short-term stays of up to 90 days in any 180-day period; this visa C visa is valid for the entire Schengen area. The Type C visa is also commonly known as the Shengen visa.

Q: How can an EU and EEA apply for a residence permit in Switzerland?

A: EU/EEA residents who plan to stay long for work purposes in Switzerland, should register with the government and apply for residency permits. The length of the given permit heavily depends on the duration of the work. Note that nationals from Bulgaria and Romania have a different policies; one can contact the Federal Office for Migration (www.bfm.admin.ch) for more information.

Q: Which nationalities do not need a visa when entering Switzerland?

A: Australian, British, Canadian, EU nationals and US citizens do not need a visa to Switzerland if the stay is only for three months.

Q: Where can one go to extend the visa expiry date?

A: Foreigners in Geneva, who wish to stay beyond their visa expiry date, can contact the Population Cantonal Office. Located in Onex, which is a canton of Geneva, the office is open from 9 AM to 3:30 PM, Mondays to Fridays.

Q: How long is the visa processing time for Geneva?

A: It varies depending on the nationality of whoever is applying. Generally, foreigners will all need to present identity documents when they enter Swiss territory and present a valid passport, return ticket and bank statements when obtaining a visa to go to Geneva.

Q: How long is the validity of a Schengen visa when staying in Geneva?

A: The Schengen visa lasts for 90 days within a period of six months. It generally costs around 60 Euros and allows the holder to travel within the Schengen area.