Essential Employment Paperwork in United Kingdom



In a global scale, The UK is known as an employment magnet. Many expatriate assignees move here for a professional opportunity. There are more than 100,000 international students and expatriates in London alone. The first thing you need to know is that it's not the simplest country to work in especially if you're not from the EU. Read the information below to learn more. 

It would be helpful to keep in mind that the UK tourist visa cannot be converted into a work visa, and it is not legal to apply for or get a job in the country on a tourist visa. Employers in the UK must apply for the employee's work permit, and submit accordingly all required documents. In general, the visa requirements vary depending on the nationality, purpose of visit and one's home country. Expats can visit the official website of the British Government for more detailed and up to date information. 

Work Visa 

Work permits or visas are used to enable British employers to recruit workers from outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA), while also protecting the interests of resident workers in the UK. The European Economic Area include Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Greece Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. 

Unless you are from the European Union/ EEA or Swiss national, you will need a work permit/visa to be able to work in the United Kingdom. British employers who wish to hire expats must contact Work Permits (UK) at least eight weeks before the date that the applicant starts employment. There are several types of work visas for UK but the most commonly issued to foreign nationals is the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Visa

"The amount of paperwork was enormous, and we heard that approval was “not as easy as it used to be”. In the end, the process was must faster than we anticipated. Health insurance could not be easier."- Mandy Haakenson, Expat in London, UK

Application Procedure and Requirements 

In the United Kingdom, applications are done online via the Apply for a UK Visa website. Expats must register for an account, fill out the application form (must be in English), pay the applicable visa processing fee/s, print out the form and book an appointment and/or interview. 

One of the most essential requirements when applying for a UK work visa is the Certificate of Sponsorship which is a reference number which bears the job description and personal details of the expat. Certificate of Sponsorships should be applied for by the employer. It is valid for three months and must be attached to the visa application form. Other required documents are: 

  • Valid Passport
  • One Passport-sized photo
  • Details of Employment (Employment Contract)
  • Banks statement/s confirming that the applicant had at least £945 in savings continuously for the pas 90 days or certification from the sponsor stating that the company will shoulder the foreign national’s accommodation for the first one month of his employment

For the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, or Slovenia nationals, you need to register under the Worker Registration Scheme if you are working in the UK, in which you will need to complete 12 months continuous employment in the UK before applying for a Residence Permit


The tax year in London begins on April 6th of the current year until April 5th of the coming year. Those with the standard personal allowance of £11,000 do not have to pay tax on. Those who get marriage or blind person’s allowance would get a larger personal allowance and anyone who has an income of £100,000 or lower than that would get something smaller. 

Here are the income tax rates for those with a standard personal allowance of £11,000: 

Taxable Income in Pounds (£)

Tax Rate (%)







159,000 and above