Essential Employment Paperwork in Venezuela



Venezuela has always been an extremely popular destination in South America whereas tourism serves as one of its leading industries and employment providers. Before flying into this country to work, expats must first ensure that they have all the legal documents such as visa and work permit. 

One golden rule that everyone must know is that converting a visitor permit to a work permit is prohibited. You must secure a work visa from a Venezuelan Embassy or Consular post before moving and starting employment. The first step for you is to look for a potential employer who will act as a sponsor. Employers usually handle the work permit application process in behalf of their expat employees. 

Work Permit 

Employers in Venezuela need to obtain a work permit authorisation from the Ministry of the Interior and Justice as well as from the Ministry of Labour. Some of the documents that must be submitted when applying for a work permit are: 

  • Valid Passport
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Highest Academic Certificate
  • Police Clearance Certificate
  • Employment Contract and Offer of Employment
  • Transfer Letter 

Transeunte Laboral (TRL-Visa) or Work Visa 

Once the work permit has been approved, an application for work visa authorization is submitted to the Venezuelan Immigration Authorities (ONIDEX).. Processing the TR-L visa takes ten weeks from the date the application was filed. To grant this visa, the Consulate of Venezuela must first receive an authorisation from the Servicio Administrativo de Idenfitifacion, Migracion y Extranjeria - SAIME). The expat must also provide several documents such as: 

  • Passport (valid for at least six months)
  • One Passport-sized photo
  • Academic and Professional Certificates that will prove the applicant’s qualifications
  • Valid Medical Certificate
  • Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour in Venezuela
  • Original Police Clearance Certificate 

The TRL-Visa is valid for an initial period of one year, although you can apply for a renewal. Legal spouse and dependents (under 18 years old) of expats that have been granted with this visa will also receive a visitor family member visa as long as they will live in the same household.